Following are eight tips to keep in mind between your mortgage approval and funding dates:
1. Don’t buy a new car or trade-up to a more expensive lease.
2. Don’t quit your job or change jobs. Even if it’s a better-paying job, you still are likely to be on a probationary period. If in doubt, call your mortgage broker and they can let you know if this may jeopardize your approval.
3. Don’t change industries, decide to become self-employed or accept a contract position even if it’s within the same industry. Delay the start of your new job, self-employment or contract status until after the funding date of your mortgage.
4. Don’t transfer large sums of money between bank accounts. Lenders get especially skittish about this one because it looks like you’re borrowing money. Be ready to document cash transactions or money movements. For tips on how to prove your down payment, click here:
5. Don’t forget to pay your bills, even ones that you’re disputing. This can be a real deal-breaker. If the lender pulls your credit bureau prior to closing and sees a collection or a delinquent account, the best you can hope for is that they make you pay off the account before they will fund. You don’t want to have to scramble to pay off a debt at the last minute!
6. Don’t open new credit cards. Again, just wait until after your funding date.
7. Don’t accept a cash gift without properly documenting it – even if this is from proceeds of a wedding. If you have a bunch of cash to deposit before your funding date, give your mortgage professional a call before you deposit it.
8. Don’t buy furniture on the “Do not pay for XX years plan” until after funding. Even though you don’t have to pay now, it will still be reported on your credit bureau, and will become an issue – especially if your approval was tight to begin with.
While you may not risk losing your mortgage approval because you have broken one of these rules, it’s always best to talk to your mortgage professional before doing any of the above just to make sure! I'm here to answer any questions you may have. Get in touch now by calling me at 647-893-2535. And don't forget to sign up for the monthly mortgage updates below.
Sign Up Here for Monthly Mortgage Updates
Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment on my Blog Post!